Every day when we face the mirror, our face starts getting wrinkles and looks looser because of the hot climate, problems, stress, overwork, and other factors. We don’t like to look older than our age, which is usually what happens when we start having wrinkles in our faces.
One thing we do to prevent that is by using hats, face masks and jackets to cover and protect our face and skin. Eating nutritious and healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, non-fatty meats, and coconut water is another thing we do to help prevent the slow but sure process of ageing.
We want to have youthful skin, a healthy body and to look beautiful to other people. Each day we spend a lot of money on cosmetics, especially for the face. As wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin start to show, it becomes a big problem and we get stressed.
As time passes by, our youthful and beautiful appearance has started to fade away. Here comes the insecurity, low self-confidence, the worry, and the stress. We start looking for a solution – an answer or remedy for the changes that are happening to our face and skin.
Botox is the Answer to Wrinkles
If you want to regain the youthfulness that your face had before, then Botox in Singapore is probably the best solution. Botox is a drug used for smoothing out wrinkles, minimizing pores, sculpting jawlines and even slimming calves. It contains a purified form of the toxin from a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which works by blocking the release and action of a compound called acetylcholine.
Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter released by nerve cells that cause muscles to contract. By blocking these nerve signals from reaching the muscles, the botulinum toxin will instead relax the muscles. When Botox is injected into your facial muscles, it prevents the muscles from receiving signals from the brain to contract. This effectively reduces the appearance of wrinkles and makes them less visible or even disappear.
Uses of Botox
Botox is mainly used for reducing the appearance of wrinkles in the face and other parts of the body. It is also used for slimming the face, as a treatment for teeth grinding and for calf slimming.
What Results to Expect from a Botox Treatment
Patients can expect Botox to reduce the appearance of “false” eye bags and fine lines under the eyes. Most of all wrinkles should disappear without losing your facial expressions. The results are visible usually within a few days. It also has a proven preventive effect against wrinkles. All in all, your skin will look much younger and smoother.
Side Effects of a Botox Treatment
Some possible side effects of a Botox treatment include bruising, bleeding, pain, redness, swelling, or infection (rarely) on and near the injection area. There is a small chance that patients may experience temporary upper eyelid or eyebrow ptosis following a Botox injection to the forehead. Ptosis is a drooping or falling of the upper eyelid.
Preparing for Your Botox Treatment
Dr. Chua Cheng Yu is a trusted aesthetic doctor in Singapore and one of his offered services is Botox treatments. After a consultation with a patient, he usually recommends the following lifestyle changes before a Botox treatment:
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages at least a day before the Botox treatment. Alcohol can increase the risk of bruising after the injection since it thins the blood.
- Avoid any blood-thinning medications for at least 2 weeks before the treatment. These include aspirin, vitamin E, ginseng, ibuprofen, and other anti-inflammatory medication.
- If you’re planning to get a Botox injection for an upcoming event like a wedding or party, schedule the treatment at least 2 weeks before the event. This is because full results from a Botox treatment take about 4 days or more to appear. You may also develop some swelling or bruising which can take longer to disappear.
- Eat a good breakfast before the procedure to reduce the chance of getting lightheaded during the injections.
Caring for Yourself After a Botox Treatment
Just as important as the preparation is the aftercare after a Botox treatment. Just because you’ve had the Botox injected already doesn’t mean that the treatment is over. You must have good aftercare to achieve the best results from your Botox treatment.
- Avoid touching the treatment area for about 3 hours after the injections. It can disrupt the botulinum toxin from working well and may even cause some complications.
- Avoid receiving any facial treatments on the treated area for at least 10 days after a Botox treatment. Your face will still be very sensitive after this and it’ll be some time before it’s safe for you to get additional treatments.
- Avoid lying down for about 4 hours after treatment. This will help avoid the side effect of droopy eyelids.
- Do not do any strenuous activities for 6 hours or more after the treatment. The Botox can migrate to a different area if you do these which can cause some unintended complications.
Dr Chua Cheng Yu
13 Stamford Rd, #B2-35 Capitol Piazza,
+65 8129 9789